This week, I want to talk about different exercises that you can do as you continue to age. As we get older, we slowly realize that there are some things that we just can't do anymore. This is true of many things, including how we keep our bodies healthy. Just because you are aging, however, does not mean that it is okay for your healthy lifestyle to fade away. Here are some low impact exercises that you can do to keep yourself fit.
1. Walk. Walking is one of the best things for you to do at any age. If you are still mobile, then walking is going to be the best workout tool in your arsenal. Even just walking for ten minutes a day can help you feel great and stay healthy.
2. Swim. Swimming and moving around in the water is a great way to exercise as you grow older. Due to the low impact that swimming has on our joints, it is wonderful for mobility and weight loss as well as cooling off during the heat of the summer.
3. Riding A Bike. Although it may seem like a lot of work, riding a bike is actually a relatively low impact exercise that has incredible health benefits. Not only does it take a good amount of energy, but it is something many people also use to reduce their weight. Cycling also helps to keep the knees and hips nice and mobile, which are both problem areas as we age.
4. Yoga and Stretching. If you have been reading these articles for any amount of time, you have probably realized I am a huge lover of stretching. Stretching is by far one of the best things that you can do for your body no matter what your mobility is. Making stretching or yoga a part of your daily routine and see how much you can benefit.
5. Garden. Getting out in the garden is great because not only does it work certain muscles, but it means you're getting some fresh air as well. Just be sure to monitor your water intake as you can easily overheat.
Just because we are getting older doesn't mean that we can just sit and let it happen. Make sure to get out there and keep yourself healthy to the best of your ability! Thanks for reading and come in to Wirth Chiropractic and pay us a visit!