This week I really wanted to focus on sleep and how important it is to each and every one of us. Now, I love sleep. Really, I do. You wouldn't know it though, considering I never seem to get enough of it. This is due to many reasons, one of them being chronic pain. You see, people who have chronic pain conditions such as arthritis or fibromyalgia often get fewer hours of sleep than is recommended each night and that can cause irritability, anxiety, depression, and a whole slew of other issues. This is why making sure that you get enough sleep is so important.
First, make sure that your room is nice and dark. If possible, try to use your bedroom only for sleeping as well. It helps to train your brain into going to sleep faster if you don't use this area for anything else. Having black out curtains on the windows help a lot of people who are light sensitive when it comes to sleeping. It is also important to make sure that you don't have your television on or use your cell phone or computer for too long before you are trying to sleep. These electronics produce a type of blue light that naturally keeps us awake. Try to shut everything down about an hour before you want to go to bed so that you can do your nightly routine.
Another good practice to get into is watching what you eat and drink around bedtime. If you are drinking caffeine or anything carbonated, you are more likely to stay up. The same is true with many things that you eat. Have a couple of glasses of water before you go to bed, or some milk if you aren't too fond of drinking plain water. You can decide whether you want to warm up the milk or not, but sometimes it's nice to get that cozy feeling every now and then.
Here at Wirth Chiropractic in Greenville NC, we want to make sure that you get a good night's rest. If you are unsure about what else you can do, come in for a spinal adjustment and a chat so we can see if any changes need to be made to your nightly routine. After all, sleep should be something you look forward to!
This week, I really wanted to focus on chronic, invisible disorders. Issues such as arthritis and fibromyalgia effect more people than many of us realize. You never know just how much pain someone sitting next to you on the bus or grabbing their groceries from the section across from you is feeling. While I don't want this article to turn into one saying that we need to have compassion for everyone, it is meant to remind you that invisible disorders are every bit as real as something you can see. No one has pain that is less valid simply because you can't see what is causing it.
Fibromyalgia is something that still has quite a bit of pushback from people, even in the medical community. It was just recently admitted into the book of diagnosable disorders and unfortunately not everyone agrees that it even exists. For those of us who live with it or know someone else who does, it is very much a real problem and can be enough to incapacitate a person whether they are doing all they can to take care of the symptoms or not. It really is a serious disorder and should always be taken seriously. If you suffer from fibromyalgia, don't worry about coming into Wirth because we know just how severely it can affect you.
Arthritis is one of those disorders that people accept as a fact of life. This becomes more and more true the older you get. The truth is, however, that arthritis does not only show up in the elderly. People of any age can be diagnosed with arthritis and it is just as serious at any point in your life. Although it is more common than fibromyalgia, the end result of both disorders is relatively similar. The sufferer lives in varying levels of pain, and this is something that we want to help.
If you suffer from a chronic disorder, especially an invisible one, we want to remind you that what you feel is valid. We understand how frustrating it can be to deal with these issues and want you to know that you don't have to do this alone. Come into Wirth Chiropractic in Greenville, NC and we will do all we can to reduce your pain levels. Just make sure to give us feedback as to how the treatments make you feel!
Sleeping is one of those mysterious things that humans do that scientists can’t fully figure out. While most studies say that we should be able to get away with little to no sleep if we take certain supplements, the same studies say that it just can’t happen for some reason. The human body isn’t meant to go for long without sleep and even those of us who can last for longer on shorter sleep schedules will still fall victim to a nap attack sooner or later. So what can you do to make sure that your sleep is as restorative as you can make it?
One of the important things for you to do before going to bed is to make sure that your sleeping accommodations are a comfortable temperature. Most scientists suggest making it a little cooler in your bedroom than you may like while you are awake because our bodies don’t need to work so hard during sleep. This means that the cooler temperatures can help put you into a state of relaxation and trick your body into conserving energy. This means you are less likely to sweat and wake up all sticky and gross like you would in the summer. This is much easier to do at this time of the year, but just make sure you don’t make it too cold or you’ll start shivering!
Another thing that you can do is make sure that your mattress and pillows are all effective. I can remember staying at my grandmother’s and sleeping on a mattress that had no more stuffing so I could always feel the springs no matter where I laid down. This is the kind of thing you want to avoid. If your pillow is too flat or your mattress is too lumpy, it may be time to start looking into a new one. Mattresses may be expensive, but they are something you need to have a good start to each day.
Something else that you can do to help your sleep habit is come into Wirth Chiropractic in Greenville, NC. Studies have been done which show that a spinal adjustment may help with sleeping problems that are due to pain. Try it out for a month and see how much of a difference we can make in your life.
This week I wanted to talk to you about ways to exercise in the winter. We all gain those couple of extra pesky pounds and often we don't want to go out and do anything about it because it's so cold. Trust me, I am right there with you. There are a few things that you can do that don't really feel like exercise, though, that can be really fun to do around the holidays. Here are a few of them.
1. Take A Walk. One of the best things about this time of the year is all of the decorations that different homes and businesses have up. Even if you don't want to walk around outside, you can go to a local mall or similar indoor area and check out what they have up. I normally like to walk around the malls just because there are so many kids all dressed up to meet Santa and they're so cute. It is also a great way to find that perfect gift for that hard to buy for person on your list!
2. Dance With Family. Having your family and friends over for the holidays can be stressful, so why not put on some music and dance? If you aren't good at freestyling, you may want to get a couple of video games that allow you to dance along with them and make a friendly competition out of it!
3. Go Out To Shop. Now that shopping can be done online, I hardly seem to get out of my house some days. During the holidays, however, I force myself to get out of the house and walk around instead of clicking away on my computer to find the perfect gift. While some things do require the internet due to the lack of stock near you, it is always better to go out and get the things you can. After all, it saves on those pesky shipping and handling charges!
Exercising during the winter is something that none of us really want to do but is also one of those really important things. While you're out, come on by Wirth Chiropractic in Greenville, NC and see how much better you'll feel after an appointment with us!
This week I really wanted to focus on walking. Walking is one of the best exercises that you can do at any age. If you are able to walk, it really is something you should take at least a half hour out of your day to do every day if possible. Getting into the habit of getting up and out of the house every day to get some fresh air is also a good thing for you to do. There are a few things that you need to remember before you go out for a long walk, though. Here are some of them.
1. Proper Shoes. If you do not have the proper footwear to walk for an extended period of time each day, you may be doing more damage to your body than you would be by just sitting at home watching television. Having a good pair of walking shoes is imperative if you are trying to exercise. If you are unsure about what is a good walking shoe, then ask your doctor or go into your local store and ask for a recommendation.
2. Be Aware of Your Surroundings. It is extremely important that you make sure that you stay safe while you are walking. If you need to cross any streets, be sure that you look both ways and stay alert while you do so. It is also always better to walk with someone else for safety reasons. If someone seems suspicious, then always trust your gut and leave to a safe place as quickly as you can. Always make sure to have your cell phone on you in case of emergencies as well. Keep an eye on the ground while you walk as well, you never know when you'll find a hole of some sort that could cause some serious damage.
Walking is one of the best low impact exercises that you can do to help your body stay healthy. If you are able to get up and walk around, even just for a little bit every day, we really suggest doing so. You never know, you may be able to work your way up to a half hour every day with some determination and work. Come into Wirth Chiropractic today and we can help set up an exercise plan that works for you.
As I am sitting here writing this, even in my heated house, I can feel the pain that often accompanies the winter settling into my bones. I have spent the past few minutes trying to stretch my right hand out because I can both hear and feel the crepitus in my joints. Crepitus is the term that is used to describe a grating or crinkling feeling that you can get under the skin. I normally like to explain it as what it feels like when you try to open a creaky door and it moves, but it doesn't want to. This often occurs when air has found its way into your joints or it can be a sign of damage to the joints such as you would see with sufferers of arthritis. If this sounds like something you experience, please know that you are not alone.
There are many ways that people deal with arthritis pain or other types of pain that seem to show up more during the winter. While over the counter pain killers are most often used, you may want to try and find something that doesn't eat away at your liver quite so much. Chiropractic care tries to treat these types of issues without pills or surgery, although we know there is more than enough use for them in certain circumstances. Although chiropractors are most known for their work on necks and backs, technically the study is in the musculoskeletal system which means that any area with a joint in it, such as the hands and feet, can be treated by a chiropractor.
If you have noticed an increase in your pain level recently, even if you have stayed inside away from the cold, you may have a chronic pain disorder such as arthritis. Only a doctor can tell you for sure and get you on a pain treatment system that will work for you and fit your specific lifestyle. If you think you may have arthritis or something similar, come into Wirth Chiropractic, in Greenville NC, and see how much better you can feel after an adjustment. We can talk about treatment options and see what works best for you. Just remember, it doesn't matter how much pain you are in, you are not alone.
A lot of times, we hear about people that have a lot of questions about chiropractors and their work that are too worried to ask one face to face. Sometimes this is because the person doesn't want to seem ignorant. Other times they are worried about offending the person they are talking to. Well here at Wirth, we LOVE questions! We always enjoy when a patient comes in and wants to know more about what we do or how we do it. This means that you are taking a vested interest in your health and nothing makes us happier than knowing that you feel comfortable enough around us to ask just about anything. Well, that and seeing you without any pain!
One of the most commonly asked questions that we hear is whether or not a chiropractor is an actual doctor. This is normally because of the more natural way that chiropractors try to deal with pain in our patients. You can rest assured, though. A chiropractor is most definitely a real doctor who went to a real medical school and got a real degree. Most even have them posted in their office so you can see them.
Another question we get a lot is whether or not your insurance will cover a chiropractic visit. While each insurance company is different, most will cover a visit to Wirth at least partially without a referral from your primary care doctor. We do always suggest that you call your provider before coming in, though, just in case something is different about yours than most that we deal with.
Another common question is whether or not someone is too old or too young to get a visit with us. Here at Wirth, we love people of all ages and welcome them to experience the difference that chiropractic care can make in their lives. It doesn't matter if you are just a few months old or a few months shy of 100, we are more than happy to have you in our office.
If you have other questions, don't worry about looking silly. Come on in to Wirth Chiropractic in Greenville, NC and we will answer any question about chiropractic care that you have. You never know, you may just find something that will change your life.
This week, I want to talk to you about healthy eating tips. With the holidays coming up, some people will indulge and this can become dangerous depending on how long you continue to indulge for. There may also be other medical reasons that someone should be watching what they eat, especially around this time of year when there are so many good treats out. Here are some foods that you shouldn't eat no matter how good they sound for you.
1. Fat-Free Salad Dressing. While it sounds like a good thing to be fat free, take a closer look at the ingredients and you will see that most of them have large levels of sugar or sugar water. If you are watching what you eat enough to eat a salad, do yourself a favor and double check the ingredients of the dressing instead of just seeing fat free and thinking it's okay.
2. Sandwich/Bread Thins. We all know that bread isn't good for us to eat a lot of. This often means that we will try and do well with our diet by eating sandwich thins that you can purchase in the store. Unfortunately, processed bread of any thickness doesn't help you lose weight due to the large amount of added ingredients. Try making your own bread instead. This way, you can control what is put in it and it generally comes out cheaper to make than to buy. Any leftovers that you may want to put on a sandwich will be better on something that hasn't been created in a factory.
3. Margarine. Many people use margarine because they believe it to be healthier than regular butter, but this simply isn't true. Originally, trans fat was used in margarine which is one of the worst things you can put into your body. While now most margarines have taken these out, there are still many processed fats that you generally won't find in natural butter. If you're cooking, try using coconut oil instead as many people swear by the taste and health benefits.
These are only a couple of dangers that can be hiding in your kitchen. If you are cooking or eating things that you don't often this season, always be sure to check the ingredients and make sure that what you are putting into your food is healthy to eat. There are many alternatives for fatty foods and they are only a web search away.